Errors in the text will be corrected here as we learn of them. Most corrections have been incorporated in the reprinted edition and the e-book.
- Page 3 refers to the railway station on North Terrace `with its imposing nineteenth-century stone facade'. This is incorrect: see André. Construction of the present-day railway station was begun in 1926 and it was opened in 1928, not in the nineteenth century. The first passenger station was completed in 1855, the entrance being under a portico projecting over the foot-path of North Terrace (photograph in State Library of South Australia). From 1878 to 1880 the station was enlarged by the addition of a second storey, including a large Paymaster's office (photograph in State Library of South Australia). Barton Hack as an accountant for the Railways from 1870 to 1883 would have worked in both buildings. The building was renovated and extended in 1899. The goods station where Barton's son Theodore worked was also built in 1855 adjacent to Morphett Street.
- Page 46 refers to Bbe's child being born in 'July 1836'. This should read 'July 1837'.
- Page 102. The South Australian Institute should be mentioned as a forerunner of the Art Gallery of South Australia as well as of the State Library of South Australia and the South Australian Museum. The history of these institutions is somewhat convoluted.
- 1834: South Australian Literary Association, which changed its name to South Australian Literary and Scientific Assocation, formed in London
- 1838: Mechanics' Institute formed in Adelaide and amalgamated with South Australian Literary and Scientic Association to form Adelaide Literary and Scientific Association and Mechanics' Institute
- 1843: Mechanics' Institute became defunct
- 1844: South Australian Subscription Library formed
- 1847: Mechanics' Institute reformed
- 1848: Mechanics' Institute amalgamated with South Australian Subscription Library to form South Australian Library and Mechanics' Institute
- 1853: Adelaide Philosophical Society formed
- 1856: Adelaide Philosophical Society merged with South Australian Library and Mechanics' Institute to form South Australian Institute, comprising a Public Library and Museum
- 1884: South Australian Institute split into three: Public Library, Museum and Art Gallery, subject to a single Board of Governors
- Page 194. George McEwin was wrong in identifying Barton Hack as the first to introduce vines to South Australia, a mistake no doubt attributable to his residence solely on the mainland. In fact, Charles Bendin Powell, the gardener appointed by the South Australian Company, was supplied with vine cuttings on the Duke of York and he planted them at Kingscote on Kangaroo Island in 1836 (Powell in South Australian Register, 1 October 1895, and William L. Beare in undated manuscript reminiscences, Royal Geographical Society of South Australia, Ms 10c).
- Page 274. Endnote 144. The author's name is 'Oats', not 'Oates'.
- Plate 6, Children of John Barton Hack, mostly ca. 1868. The portrait on left in the first row has been identified by descendants as William Hack rather than Edward. See discussion.
- Plate 16, facing page 117, map of Stephen Hack's explorations. For 'Mount Searle' read 'Mount Serle'. Also 'Angepina' was the name current in the 1860s; since the 1880s it has been 'Angepena'.Page 138 refers to Barton being the first chairman of the South Australian Agricultural and Horticultural Society. Barton was in fact a proponent of its forerunner, the South Australian Agricultural Society, founded on 28 October 1839. David McLaren was the first president and Barton was one of its vice-presidents. Barton was chairman of the committee that drew up the rules of the society in December 1839. This society fell into abeyance, despite an attempt to revive it under McLaren in December 1840, so Henry Watson proposed its revival in conjunction with a Horticultural Society in January 1842. The Agricultural and Horticultural Society was formed on 24 January 1842. No president was elected but Henry Watson became its first Honorary Secretary. The first exhibition under its auspices took place in the school rooms on North Terrace on 16 February 1842.
- Page ix, paragraph 2. For 'disgrams', read 'diagrams'.
- Page 79, paragraph 1. For 'three man', read 'three men'.
- Page 100, paragraph 3. For 'Barton )and' read 'Barton and'.